Monday, September 26, 2011

Shrimp On The Barbie (Australia)

We had finished our crafts and it was time to think about our end of the adventure celebration. Of course when I mentioned to people that we were “visiting” Australia, the first thing they asked was, “Are you having Shrimp on the Barbie?” To which I responded, “I think we will have to.” 

Through all of my searching for yummy food, all I kept stumbling on was steak, of some sort. I decided that in order to be authentic, my family and our guests, could eat steak. Since I don't eat red meat, I could eat the side dishes. I found some sides that looked delicious and asked the guests, my parents, to bring the shrimp.  

We filled our glasses with Aussie style Homemade Lemonade, and sat down to eat with Australian Aboriginal music playing in the background.
Dinner: Filet Mignon with horseradish sauce, shrimp (yes, it was cooked on the barbie) , Scalloped Cauliflower,  Kidney Bean  Salad.
Scalloped Cauliflower 
(Unfortunately, if you want to find the recipe for this, you'll have to scroll down this page a bit to see it. Fortunately, there are tons of other Australian recipes there to view as well)
Kidney Bean Salad 
(Unfortunately, if you want to find the recipe for this, you'll have to scroll down this page a bit to see it. Fortunately, there are tons of other Australian recipes there to view as well)
Dessert: Pavlova, basically a giant meringue with whipped cream and strawberries.
We had a great time learning about Australia and as always, Aiden knew all of the answers to the Trivia Questions, and those who didn't know the answers learned something new.


We didn't talk with any accents, and I'm pretty sure that my dad was the only one saying, "Mate" which was kind of strange, because he sounded more like a pirate than Australian, but that's my dad for you, people love him and I think that's part of the reason why. All in all I'd say our Australian Journey was a success. We learned about The Outback and The Great Barrier Reef and as always, it cured the wanderlust as much as it made me want to jump on a plane and go there tomorrow. I'm off to spin the globe again. Cheers Mates.





2 comments:

  1. (Trying again w/ phone--excuse duplicates)

    Yum! Definitely going to try the cauliflower. And I adore pavlova!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cauliflower was very good, there weren't any left overs! Let me know what you guys think of it!

    ReplyDelete

Most Visited