Thursday, April 26, 2012

Mapping Our Journey and Getting Our Passports Stamped

It's that time again. We are winding down to the end of our Scotland tour but before we can eat, drink, and merry, we must scratch our map and stamp our passports. 




This time, I had no potatoes in the house. I know, it's weird to have no potatoes, it seems like one of those items that you always have in the house. At any rate, I had decided that I could get away with using a sweet potato, as I did have a few of those. But after cutting them to make some sweet potato fries for dinner, I realized what I should have already known, that sweet potatoes are way too hard to carve.


I decided to try a new kind of stamp. One that I had been thinking about for a while now, but wasn't sure how it would work out. An apple. I was delighted to find how easy it was to carve, as all I had to do was write on the apple firmly with the marker, no actual carving needed. The downside is that apples have a lot more texture than potatoes, so it's not super smooth. But it worked. As you can see below, in this case, the texture of the apple actually helped the design of the stamp. I decided to make the Loch Ness monster on it and the texture of the apple looks like ripples in water. It might not always be a convenient texture, and it did end up a bit "blurry" in spots, but all in all, I think it worked this time. 


The sample drawn out on paper.
Due to the size of the apple, I actually had to move the 2012 to the side instead of keep it at the bottom. 

On Monday I will be sharing with you our Scottish dinner celebration. We have a couple of other things planned, then we will be on to our next country. 


*Don't forget, you can see how we made the passports and other passport stamps by clicking on the Detours and Shortcuts Link on the right hand side in the Atlas section. (Or you can click here to get there too.)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Visited