Monday, April 30, 2012

Skipping The Haggis

Here it is. The end of April already. I know I say it all the time, but I am always so stunned that it goes by so fast, and I always feel like we have so much more to learn before we are ready to move on to another country. Even though we are feeling like it's too soon, we always enjoy our "end of the tour" celebrations, and this one was no exception. 


The books that we borrowed from the library and I told you about here. The Loch Ness Monster that Aiden made here. A postcard that my sister in-law, Katie, sent to us from Scotland last year. 
This meal may have been one of the easiest so far. I made a Scotch Stew and the recipe said that it tastes best if you make it the day before. So I did that, which left only a few things to make on the "big" day. 


After so many people questioned whether I'd be making haggis for dinner, I found this, and almost placed my order, but decided that even that seemed a little gross to me. 


The sun was at a weird place in the sky for the photos so there are some weird shadows in the pictures, but we eat around 5:00 and I don't have any negotiating power with the sun. (Besides, I am thrilled that it is still hanging around a couple of hours later... hello warmer weather!) 

It was so cool to be in the room with these bowls of stew on the table and the sun shining in. There was a ton of steam rolling off of them. 

Scotch Stew, Bubbles & Squeak, Bannocks, and a homemade version of Bouvrage. The little fairy looking on is one that we made this day 
We ate our dinner, played our mini version of trivia and listened to a Scottish Bagpipe mix on Pandora. After listening to the bagpipes for a while, we did switch to Annie Lennox radio on Pandora which didn't include artists ONLY from Scotland, but I'm fairly certain that all of them were from The UK, so that seemed close enough for dinner music. 

Apple Pear Compote. 
The food was delicious. Our bellies were overfilled as always and Preston did all of the dishes after we ate! ALL OF THE DISHES! He's so good. 


I spent the rest of weekend visiting with friends and enjoying the late setting of the sun. What did you do this weekend? 


*I would like to send out a special Thank You to Kelly over at Little Wonders Days for featuring my blog in the AfterSchool Party this week! I am super excited to have been featured! 



4 comments:

  1. So sad you skipped the Haggis. :(

    LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds and looks like a great meal! What's in the Scottish Stew?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The stew was a recipe that I found in a vegan cookbook, though there are many variations online that include meat. This one had pearl barley, split peas, red lentils, leeks, onions and potatoes, with vegetable broth. It was yummy :)

      Delete

Most Visited