Thursday, July 26, 2012

Tree Frogs of Panama


As many of you know by now, I love using Scupley. After feeling like I was becoming a bit too obsessed with Scupley, I decided to take a break from sculpting type projects. When I did sculpt, I tried a new kind of clay and didn't care for it much, while it was easier to use because it was softer, it was messier and cracked as it dried. (See it here.)


I decided that it had been long enough and it was time to buy some sculpey. We made a trip to the craft store and loaded our basket up with some Sculpey, but then, we stumbled upon something else. Model Magic made by Crayola. Air drying, soft sculpting clay. Whoa! I decided that since it felt so soft through the package, it would be far easier for my littles to work with. It was a little bit more expensive per package, but there are 4 oz in a package as compared to 2 oz of Scupley, so really, it's the better price. 


While learning about The Red Eyed Tree Frog from the book that we borrowed from the library, we knew we'd want to do a tree frog project. While we were doing our Panama research, we also learned about The Panamanian Golden Frog. The tree frogs in Panama are all suffering due to a fungus that came to the Rainforest in the 1990s, but Panamanian golden frog is critically endangered because of it, and has become a national symbol of Panama. Some believe that when a Golden frog dies, it turns to gold. 


I pulled out my "special" craft tablecloth for the occasion since I had no idea what kind of mess we might be dealing with. Set up the computer with some tree frog images thanks to google images and the book that we borrowed from the library. 



We looked a few pictures of tree frogs and started sculpting. Aiden decided that he wanted to start with a Strawberry poison dart frog. 




Eliana opted for a Golden frog. 



Aiden then made a golden frog as well. 



Yes, we all decided that it made sense to make a golden frog. So we made a few. 



This Model Magic clay was so easy to work with and incredibly light weight. I think this is maybe what those circus peanut candies are made of. ;) My littles decided that they were done and ready to go do something else, but I didn't want to stop, I made several others before I finally decided to put the clay away. 


This one reminds me of a marshmallw peep. 

Have you ever used Model Magic before? Did you find it incredibly easy to work with as I did? Or do you use a different sculpting medium? 


I am still in search of a reader who has been to Panama to be our Traveling Friend, to be featured next week. Please contact me at mamacitasglobe[at]yahoo[dot]com. 



9 comments:

  1. Love the frogs!! You are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was really fun to make them and the Crayola Model Magic was SO easy to work with! I'm thrilled to have discovered this new medium for sculpting!

      Delete
  2. felice inizio settimana a te...ciao

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow your kids are super good sculptors & it's easy to see where they got their talent! Be careful where you leave Model Magic pieces, even after they're dry. It can stain wooden and cloth surfaces; it even took the varnish off one of my parents' bookcases during a period of humid weather. No idea why, because it's so soft and light and innocent feeling! But it has this weird way of trapping moisture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Thank you SO much for the warning! I had no idea, as I mentioned above, we just discovered Model Magic and, yes, it does seem super innocent. I will be sure to put something under them before I put them on a shelf, or wherever their permanent home ends up being.

      Thanks for visiting my blog! I hope you'll pop in again :)

      Delete
  4. What a great activity! And I love the concept of your blog - So glad to have found it. Thanks for sharing on the Culture Swapper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for checking it out! I checked out your blog as well and look forward to seeing more!

      Delete
  5. Wow, I've never seen such professional looking modelling clay frogs!
    Love them, Rachael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They were really easy to make. I'm not sure if you've ever used Model magic, but it is insanely easy to work with.

      Delete

Most Visited