Monday, March 12, 2012

Peruvian Book- Winter Pinterest Challenge

As I mentioned last week, Sherry at Young House Love announced another Pinterest Challenge. The idea behind this is that it's time to take a break from pinning and start actually creating what you've been pinspired by. Last time Sherry announced a Pinterest challenge, I made Dia de los Muertos sandwiches for my littles (check it out here.) This time, I decided I wanted to create something that was a little bit more involved. 

I pinned this idea on Pinterest a couple of weeks ago and had been trying to figure out how to make it suit our needs. They created a lapbook from a file folder that focused on a child that they are sponsoring from Rwanda. I put my thinking cap on and came up with the following idea to adapt to what we are doing. 

I decided to make a book. I started with a mini photo album and I pulled out some scrapbooking supplies that haven't seen the light of day for about 5 years. 



I created pages that had information that was important for us to know while learning about Peru. First up were the various flags. 



 Next was a map, showing Peru and where it is located in South America. 



On the next page, I glued an envelope to the page and filled it with images of animals that live in Peru. I found some really great ones online at a website for Mongabay.



The next thing I did was use a free printable from here, that has a small map and prompts to fill in the blanks about distance. The printable is called "Are We There Yet?" but I wanted to include some spanish as well, so I didn't use the cover, I created my own.  





I found a website that gives you the distance in miles and how long it would take to get to your location on an airplane. You can find it here, there are many locations to choose from, so you can get pretty close to the actual distance. 


For the next page, I printed a photo of the national flower of Peru. It is actually, unofficially the national flower, but it is known as the National Flower, so that's good enough for me. 



The last thing that I did was create a page for the foods. Here, I asked the kids to write ten foods of Peru and I made it in a trifold format. 



1.Potatoes 2.Corn 3.Chicken 4.Rice 5.Quinoa 6.Fish 7.Aji Peppers 8.Lamb 9.Pork 10. Guinea Pig
Yes, you read that correctly, Guinea Pig is a delicacy in Peru and served on very special occasions. 
With the Pinterest Challenge behind me, I feel that I can continue to pin things on Pinterest in good faith, that I will use the pins as reminders and come back to actually create some of the items that I have pinned. The official end date for the challenge isn't until Wednesday, so if you are working on a project, or want to, keep it up. You can share what you've created here by posting a link in the comments section and/or head on over to Young House Love on Wednesday and share it with them. Though, I hope you'll share here too, I'd love to see what you're up to! If you are not on Pinterest, then you MUST head over there right now and request an invite, your life will never be the same :)


3 comments:

  1. AWESOME! I love all the different skills you incorporated in this one, esp. measuring distances. Such potential there!

    Thanks again for your wonderfully creative ideas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for reading! I also love the measuring distance idea... I will likely incorporate that into all of our "tours".

    ReplyDelete

Most Visited